Plaza Zaragoza in Hermosillo
Plaza Zaragoza is the central plaza for the Sonoran capital of Hermosillo. The plaza was inaugurated in 1865 and named in honor of Mexican General Ignacio Zaragoza (1829-1862),
Plaza Zaragoza has four criss-crossing walkways lined with trees, bushes and other plants and vegetation. At the center of this famous plaza is an ornate Moorish-style kiosk that was brought from Florence, Italy in the early 1900s. If the kiosk looks familiar, it may be because some other cities in Sonora also use a similar-looking kiosk in their town plaza.
The plaza also has a small area dedicated as a monument for the 49 pre-school children who died in a fire at the Guarderia ABC preschool in Hermosillo in June of 2009. The quiet section of the plaza has 49 white painted crosses, each bearing the name of a child and a teddy bear or other stuffed animal.
The Hermosillo Cathedral dominates one side of Plaza Zaragoza, and on the opposite side are the Hermosillo municipal building and the Sonora government building, the Palacio del Gobierno de Sonora.
Plaza Zaragoza is a quiet, relaxing place to sit and relax while you are exploring the downtown area of Hermosillo.