Misión de San Antonio de OquitoaOquitoa, Mexico
Misión de San Antonio de Oquitoa
The mission church in Altar is located a few miles north of Altar, Sonora on a Sonoran state highway. The Mission was established in the late 17th century by Italian Jesuit missionary Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino.
It was rebuilt by the Franciscans when they took over the region of Sonora from the Jesuits in the late 18th century, and was restored in 1920. The church still has an active congregation.
The mission and its adjoining cemetery (with a variety of interesting and beautiful grave markers) can be seen from the road to Oquitoa. To get to the church, you will need to enter the town and take the winding road up the hill to the cemetery.
The parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Altar has the historical church records from Caborca and Altar, going back for more than 100 years. It also provides a source of compassion and nourishment to visitors to the area.