OquitoaNorthern Sonora, Mexico
Oquitoa, Sonora, Mexico
The small pueblo of Oquitoa was founded in 1689 by Jesuit missionary Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino. The town is also the seat of the municipality of Oquitoa, and is located on Sonora highway 43 approximately six miles northeast of Altar, Sonora.
The main industries in Oquitoa are raising cattle and crops. Farmers grow corn and beans, as well as alfalfa and other forage grasses for animal feed.
Sites of interest include the Kino mission church that is still an active parish, Misión de San Antonio de Oquitoa and the ruins of a mill that was used to grind grain when the San Ignacio River flowed near the town.