Baviácora, SonoraPueblos of the Rio Sonora
Baviácora, Sonora, Mexico
The Rio Sonora town of Baviácora was founded in 1637 by Spanish General Pedro de Perea, during a time when the area was first visited and colonized by Spanish explorers, conquistadors and Jesuit missionaries.
In 1639 the Portugese Jesuit priest Bartolomé Castaño founded the mission of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción de Baviácora. The pueblo’s name comes from the language of the native Opata peoples, meaning “grass of tranquility.”
It is the administrative center of the municipality (like a county in the United States) with the same name. Baviácora was originally part of the municipality of Arizpe when it was established in 1930.
It became and independent municipality on May 13, 1931, and in 1932 the municipality lost some of its territory when the municipality of Aconchi was separated from Baviácora and established as an independent municipality. The 2015 census counted 3,560 residents in the municipality of Baviácora.
Baviácora is one of the southernmost towns on the Route of the Rio Sonora. Its impressive plaza and church, the Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion Cathedral, are located along the highway. In addition, there is an adjoining plaza in front of the town’s municipal building.
The two plazas offer a great place to get out and stretch your legs, take some pictures and relax on a park bench while enjoying the view and the peaceful ambiance of this Sonoran pueblo.